Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thursday 18 November 2010

My 31st Birthday

My company kindly gives us an extra days holiday every year on our birthday. It is really lovely to have the day off so for the last 2 years Nathan and I have made a deal that we would do something we wouldn't usually on the day.

We pre planned the day so we could make the most of it and it worked out great. Nathan put a lot of thought into what I love and enjoy doing. It was also just so lovely to spend the day with him. (Our holiday already seemed like a distant memory as we had both been working so hard.)  
Breakfast in bed.... which consisted of coffee and cupcakes... (the diet went out the window- it was my birthday after all!) Nathan also brought me some lovely wee, well thought out presents... (the best kind!) There were cards and gifts from all my lovely friends and family too.
As we had the year before we got the train to somewhere we hadn't been together. The train is so much more pleasurable than driving as we could both relax. We picked up two Pike's Place Roast coffees at Starbucks on the way to the train.
Riding down the east coast to North Berwick was a 30-40 minute journey. The train was so quiet as we were going against the commuter traffic.
My Sister, Mum, Dad and I used to come to North Berwick a lot when we were younger. My Grandparents also used to take us here on the bus or for a Sunday ride so it has lots of good memories. The day had started off grey but ended up beautiful! Not a cloud in the sky! It was great to be beside the water even if it was a little chilly.

Although it was the 2nd of November the shops still had some of their Halloween decorations in the window. I think this is what I need. A window that I can do a display every season! I loved the window here at Gulp. Later in the afternoon I went back in and purchased some faux autumn leaves to make into a garland. (more about that in an upcoming post.) They were so friendly and helpful... if their store was a little closer I think I would be spending all my money there! Although they are online.
There was so much detail in the window. I loved the black and green. I have some lime green in my living room that I might make more of next year for Halloween. It looks more modern.
When I was younger and we would come to North Berwick as I family I always said I wanted to stay in this little cottage when I was a grown up. The photo I took of it for scale didn't come out but you can see from this picture that it is not big (Nathan might not even fit in the front door!). It is nestled between two larger properties. I would love to have a look inside one day... and who knows I could maybe one day own it as my little coastal bolt hole!! I sent a photo on my phone to my Mum and Sister to remember 'Puffin Cottage' .... I love memories like these.
After we walked around North Berwick (there are some lovely, lovely shops!) Nathan had organised for me to have a pedicure at the local hotel. The Marina Hotel is owned by the McDonald hotel group so it is a great standard. Whilst I had my pedicure he chilled in the lounge and then we had lunch in the bar looking out onto the Links Golf Course. It was a great day for a game.... although as always on a links course very windy. I was glad we were tucked up inside. Whilst my toes dried we ate Pumpkin Risotto and Fish Pie... yum!
Looking out at the gorgeous view. I loved the big couches too. So snugly and warm. 
We could see the Bass Rock from the window behind where we were sitting. There was also a gorgeous outdoor mini pool/ jacuzzi below the bar window. We will have to come back for a wee overnight stay. The hotel really did look lovely.
After lunch we walked around more and visited lots of little gift and home stores. I walked into one store and could have bought everything. I loved it! They don't have online yet but when they do- watch out! For now I will have to contend with a wee trip back to North Berwick during the Christmas holidays. We stopped and had hot chocolate and Nathan had some tasty cake before we headed to the train station.
The town has a lot of Victorian buildings and decorations to it. Even the railway sign has history.
Waiting for the train back to Edinburgh after a lovely day in North Berwick.
Nathan clearly had had too much fresh air and fell asleep on the train. So I caught up on all the lovely facebook messages, e-mails and texts people had sent to wish me Happy Birthday- thank you to everyone for the good wishes....as you can see I had a great day! ... but it wasn't over yet.
After a quick turn around (thankfully our flat is only 5 minutes from the train station at Haymarket) we headed out again. Nathan had booked us in for an early table at our favourite local Northern Chinese restaurant Chop Chop. I L.O.V.E their dumplings and green beans. Nathan was actually sent a gift voucher from them for being one of their most valued customers... he he! It pays to be loyal!
I bought a new top from Laura Ashley to wear on my birthday night out. I love the sparkly shoulders and it has shoulder pads too...( I should have been 31 in the 80s!)  

After dinner we went to the Lyceum Theatre to see 'The Importance of Being Ernest.'

“I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read”

I loved the costumes and the stage sets... and the acting was good too. I used to really enjoy going to the theatre with my Dad so it was nice to have gone again. (I also used to go to see dance and ballet with my Mum- I need to do that again soon too.)

Nathan and I never got interval drinks though as we were too full from dinner (One of my favourite things about going to the theatre, when I was younger, was pre ordering drinks at the bar to be ready for you at the interval. I always felt so special when we did this.... not sure why!? maybe amazement when they got our order right. Or feeling very grand!?)

Hopefully we can go to the theatre again sometime soon as it was really good to do something different.
I had a wonderful birthday with Nathan. It was filled with so many things that I love. Adventures, boutique shops selling shabby chic items and Christmas goodies, the beach, pedicure, lunch snuggled up on a couch, Chop Chop and then the theatre.... but most of all I loved being with Nathan.

I feel that we well and truly celebrated my last birthday as Jennie Landels.... for on my next birthday I will be Jennie Pike!

1 comment:

~Holly said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! What a fun day you had!! You are just beautiful!!