Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday 9 September 2009

More tasty recipes!

I am well and truly making use of my Good Food magazine this month.

After working late for another evening I headed home last night about 8:15 and cooked up a storm in the kitchen. I tried two new recipes: Butternut Squash and Chilli Soup and Asian Prawn and Pineapple Salad.

They were both a big hit- although it was such a miserable day yesterday that salad was probably not the best option for dinner!

When Nathan came in from rugby training after 9 we sat down and had our tasty tea.

I am trying to eat less carbs but I had a wee baguette in the freezer so I couldn't resist popping it in the oven from some warm bread when Nathan came home.

We then took the left overs for lunch today and there is enough soup for tomorrow too... I am loving being economic and healthy!

Butternut Squash and Chilli Soup

For the soup you have to roast 1 butternut squash cut into 1 1/2" chunks (with 1 tbsp of olive oil poured over the top- get your hands in and make sure all the butternut squash is covered with oil) then put it in the oven at 180* for 30 minutes. Whilst the butternut squash is in the oven you heat 2 tsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan with the 2 onions, 3/4 of 2 red chillies and 1 clove of garlic. Put it on a really low heat (I had it on 1) and cover with the lid for 15 minutes until the onions are really soft.

Once the Butternut Squash is out of the oven add it to the pan of onions etc. Then add 4 tbsp of creme fraiche and 1 1/2 pints of veg stock and whizz it up. I used my hand held mixer as it gives a nice smooth, glossy consistency.

Then top with creme fraiche and the remaining 1/4 of red chillies... it is so warm and filling.


Asian Prawn and Pineapple Salad
I don't have the recipe with me at the moment nor has it been uploaded to the Good Food magazine yet but I will update when I can. In the Asian salad was: Prawn, pineapple, cucumber, tomatoes, beansprouts, mint, cashews.. and in the sauce- 2 limes, 1 tsp of golden caster sugar, 1/2 a red chili, 1 clove of garlic, fish sauce.... I just wish I could remember the full measurements for the ingredients... no matter I will post it soon.

Only word of warning... I am eating the salad for my lunch today and the acid in the sauce and pineapple has started to break down the prawn meat.... so it taste amazing if you eat it straight away after you make it but don't leave it too long.

No comments: