Wedding Countdown Ticker

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Annual Accies Burns Supper

I don't have many snaps of the Burns Supper and none of the girlies! :( However I thought I'd post the few I do have. 

The Burns Supper is an institution of Scottish life: a night to celebrate the life and works of the national Bard. Suppers can range from an informal gathering of friends to a huge, formal dinner full of pomp and circumstance.

Nathan once again was Chairman at the Accies Burns Supper overseeing a great night- although smaller than usual. We had a good top table who preformed the Selkirk Grace, Toast to a Haggis, the Immortal Memory, Toast to the Lassies, Reply and some musical entertainment.
 
I was again (as I was 3 years before) roped in at the last minute to speak on behalf of the girls for the reply to the toast to the lassies. Troy, who is South Africa did the toast and went for a few obvious digs at us girls- shopping etc.... He was really good but I was very chuffed to be told afterwards that I pretty much wiped the floor with him. Firmly putting him in his place!

For the Americans that read my blog: 

The humorous highlight of any Burns Night comes in the toast to the Lassies, which is designed to praise the role of women in the world today. This should be done by selective quotation from Burns's works and should build towards a positive note. Particular reference to those present makes for a more meaningful toast.

The Reply to the Toast to the Lassies is revenge for the women present as they get their chance to reply.
My favourite speaker was one of the younger boys who did the Toast to the Haggis- he really got into it and was very good!
The entertainment was amazing with Piping- here the Haggis is being piped into the room.
And I was amazed that Arnie played us the flute... and he was actually really good!
Arnie played Scottish Music as well as a few Irish tunes.
Marshy (who used to play at Accies) and his wife Lorraine were visiting from the Borders and so stayed with Nathan and I in the flat. The Captain's raffle took place at the end of the meal and I was asked to pull out the winning ticket for the big prize f £300 and it was Marshy's ticket that won so he was delighted! (I wasn't so popular with everyone else though- but there can only ever be one winner!!)

No comments: