Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sunday 18 May 2008

Memories of Summers in California!

Now I'm on a foodie recipe roll!!!

Last week I was thinking about when I spent two summers of my childhood in California... I was 9 and 10.... they were great times and my sister and I spent the entire summer in my cousin's pool in Walnut Creek. We also visited with my great Uncle in Monterey and my Uncle John and his family in San Diego, where they lived at the time...

Anyways the point of this nostalgia is there was a huge Mexican influence on their food.. and having lived in Scotland all my life I'd never had a burrito or even tortilla chips etc... now it's a different story!! ;-) We are so much more Americanized in our Supermarkets... Anyways!! ........

I have a memory of my mum making a 9 layered dip for a party my auntie was having and I remember how amazed I was by it... so i looked it up on line and I made my own 9 layer dip... .... think it's meant to be a dish served as part of a buffet but Nathan and I had it with some tortilla chips and beers on Tuesday night!! A great supper!! ... well Nathan loved it so much he ate half of it (probably 4 people portions!!) think we'll def make this again... but apparently next time no olives (Nathan wasn't a fan!) and I think I'll make homemade salsa rather than the tomato layer!

Mexican 9 layer dip

Ingredients

400g lean mince
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 can of refried beans
3 avocados peeled, seeded and mashed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup sour cream (I used more!)
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar but you can use Monterey jack too!)
1 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (coriander)
4 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup sliced black olives
tortilla chips


  1. Note: You can easily change the amounts given in the layers to suit your taste or omit a layer if you don't care for it, or add a layer, if you prefer.
  2. Brown meat in skillet with garlic; drain away any fat; add 1/2 envelope taco seasoning and 2 tbsp water and mix together, set aside and allow to cool.
  3. Spread the beef in the bottom of a dish.
  4. Heat the refried beans re instructions on pack, cool slightly then add as the next layer
  5. Mix the avocado with the lemon juice and spread over the beans.
  6. Mix the sour cream with the remaining taco seasoning and spread over the guacamole.
  7. Layer 2/3 of the cheese, then the green onions, the cilantro, the tomatoes, the black olives, then finally with the remaining cheese.
  8. Serve dip with tortilla chips.

No comments: