Wedding Countdown Ticker

Sunday 18 May 2008

Yam Neua (Thai Beef Salad)

I took some photos of my thai beef salad (but as I explained before my camera won't directly upload photos) so for now here is an image off a website.... think mine looked tastier!!

This dish is one of my favourites when I go out for thai at dusit or the thai lemongrass- Yum! I knew I had it in a Thai cookbook somewhere but I'd never tried it before. Nathan loved Thailand when he visited and keeps loads of thai ingredients in the cupboards- thank godness or my recipe would have never happened!

This was such a simple recipe (as long as you have the stuff!) and I really enjoyed making it... pity by the time I went through to tell Nathan dinner was ready he was sound asleep- not too be woken!! But I enjoyed my tea for one!!... with a little glass of vino!!

Apart from the Sauce ingredients I didn't really stick to what the recipe (from Thai Home Cooking by Robert Carmack and Sompon Nabnian) states.... but here is the official version.

Ingredients

1/2lb (250g) beef tenderloin or sirlion, trimmed, or roast beef
(I used beef joint and it was perfectly good.... would be great if you had roast left overs!)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon vegtable oil

1/3 cup (3 floz/90ml) fish sauce
1/2 cup (4floz/125ml) fresh lime juice
about 25 fresh small green and red chillies, coarsely chopped
(way too much in my opinion!- I used 3 regular green chillies!(what was avaliable!)... and I like stuff hot!
1 teaspoon palm sugar

1 cucumber
1 firm tomato
3 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots (French shallots), preferably pink
1/2 cup (2oz/60g) coarsely chopped Chinese or standard celery
5 scallions (green onions), cut into 1 inch (2.5cm) peices, including green parts


I just realized I made entirely my own recipe apart from the sauce- where I halved all the ingredients!! (It was only making dinner for two- which turned out to be for one!)

For my salad I used... iceberg lettuce (I was in a watery lettuce mood!) Then 1/4 of a cucumber- including seeds and loads of cherry tomatoes halved (no half-moons and all that jazz!..see below!), with spring (green) onions!

But on with the official version!!

If using raw beef, cut into 1 or 2 thick steaks. Season lightly with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, heat oil and cook steaks for a total of 7 minutes per inch (2.5cm) thickness, turning once, for medium rare. Remove from heat and let cool thoroughly.

I roasted my joint per instructions and then carved the meat thinly.

In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, chillies, and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, remove seeds with a spoon if desired, then cut into thin crescents. Core tomato, cut in half vertically, and slice into thin half moons. Cut meat into thin strips, then toss with fish sauce mixture. Add cucumber, tomato, shallots, celery, and scallions, and toss to coat.

Transfer to serving dish and serve immediately. Serves 4-6

Hint
Tender beef, such as fillet or sirloin, is best for this recipe. This is also a good way to use left over roast beef (as I did!) For a less spicy salad,leave the chillies whole and lightly bruise them before adding. Although not traditional, this salad is delicious served on a bed of greens, such as green oak leaf lettuce (trust me it's not too bad on iceberg too!)

Finally photos of my tasty Beef salad tea!

No comments: