Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday 28 January 2009

Burn's Supper Favours

As I was travelling away for work from the 22nd of Jan I was going to miss this years Burn's Supper at the rugby club. Nathan was organizing it as he did last year and carrying out duties as Chairman on the night introducing all the speakers on the top table.

Robert Burns (25 January 1759 – 21 July 1796) (also known as Rabbie Burns, Scotland's favourite son, the Ploughman Poet) was a poet and a lyricist. He is widely regarded as the national poet of Scotland, and is celebrated worldwide. He is the best known of the poets who have written in the Scots Language. Every year around the 25th of January we celebrate his birthday and all things Scottish. This year is a special celebration as it's 250 years since his birth.
Click Here for more information on the format of a Burns Supper.

I had said I would make some favours for the tables (I made Scottish Tablet last year and had also arranged the flowers with Susan from my floristry class)

So I kept my promise and on Wednesday night I spent the evening wrapping up Macaroons in little cellophane packages with ribbon and roses. Nathan was such a huge help as I had to also pack for my trip to.

You can not get more of a traditional Scottish sweet (candy) than Macaroon, originally made from mashed potato, icing sugar, then coated in chocolate and toasted coconut you now don’t use potato as it just does not keep. They taste so sugary but are SO good!!
I used white roses with blue ribbon (Accies Rugby colours), red roses (inspired by a Burn's poem) with blue tartan ribbon and white roses with red tartan ribbon.
This was the box of favours I left for Nathan to take to the club on the Saturday- 80+ favours!!
A selection of the favours.

No comments: